Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Peggy's story...




First time on the blog in a very long time...
Not sure anyone will even see this it has been so long.
But I still want this place to be where I record life...
and my life has been very busy since last November!

For those that don't know, or remember,
we opened a little Quilting Studio/Fabric Shop
last January.
Since then, we have been learning a lot...
and more importantly, meeting some really wonderful quilters.


Today, I wanted to share Peggy with you.


Peggy's story began when she came into the shop one day asking
if I could teach her to quilt. I asked her what she would like to learn
and she told me a story about a few quilt tops she'd had for over 40 years
left to her from her grandmother.

The first one she brought in, wasn't even a top yet. It was in the form of 4 /12 inch squares
stored inside a Tupperware container - probably from 40 years ago!
It measured 25 blocks across and 25 blocks down.
We decided a time to begin and marked our calendars.

When the day came to start, she showed up on time 
with Tupperware container in hand along with her daughter,
their sewing machines and a very old sewing kit.

Over about 3 weeks time, we were able to piece the top.
It was HUGE.
We loaded it on the Handi Quilter Avante  
and after her orientation for the longarm,
Peggy began quilting. It took 8 hours.
But she finished.




In two weeks, she brought another top in.
She quilted that one too.
It was only a mere 80+ years old...but in great condition.






Finally, two weeks later, she brought in a third quilt.
It was a simple pattern, and bright. It was about 30 years old.
The youngest in the bunch.
And she quilted.




We celebrated each quilt with postings on Instagram and on 
the shop's Facebook page and lots of high fives and hugs!

But then...something unexpected happened.
Peggy came into the shop with her daughter,
and two sweet little grand daughters.

She was carrying a huge stack of quilts.
You see, she said wanted to gift them to her "girls"
in the place that helped her finish them.


Wow.



What a great moment to be there and to see each one 
of them receive their quilts.
They were thrilled and I don't think there was a dry eye
or a face without a huge smile!

Peggy is a quiet lady, with a sweet spirit.
She was committed to finishing these 
and took several of her days off to make sure it happened.
What a legacy.
I hope those littles remember this moment...
and their grandmother....
and the great-grandmothers that created those lovely 
quilts, ultimately for them.

Each day, we meet some of the sweetest customers.
I could write stories of all of them.
One thing I have realized is this...
Sometimes you wait a lifetime to find your purpose,
but when you do, it is so worth it.

17 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story about a lovely lady. You were her angel to help her finish those quilts. I'll bet seeing her gift those legendary quilts to her grand daughters was priceless. Now they'll have stories of their own to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this story and the photos are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your Posts!! :) Always!!...

    What Special Heart Memories were made! & how exciting you got to be a part of it all!! Bless You for taking time to share your knowledge & help....

    Ohio Hugs!!
    Lori :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back, and loving what you are doing!
    My blog has gone to pot. It takes me a half a day to post anything so I've let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story! The fabrics in that second quilt look incredible considering how old they are!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to hear from you, It has been a long while. I was wantin to know how the shop and those new babies were doin. Sweet story and beautiful quilts. Her free motion is pretty good not know anything about guilten. You will become fast friends I'm sure. Ton't wait so long to get back to us. Hope everthing is fine your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why you opened a shop.
    I'm so glad to here from you here on the blog.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy to see you pop in and share your sweet story. It sounds like your shop...and you...are blessing the people who walk through your door. It's touching to see how quilting stitches generations of family, as well as strangers, together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet story. I am so glad there are people like you in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Peggy, this is awesome! And a good family hobby too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Lana -- I was amazed and shocked to see this blog post. Thanks so much for making the quilts possible and giving me a pictorial history of the great time I spent with you. I just looked on the blog after I signed up for a class. I think you are an awesome teacher. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Peggy is such a sweet lady and I love her dearly. I wouldn't know what to do without her at work. Her girls are very lucky to have her. Love you Ms. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto on Kathy's comment! Peggy is one of the sweetest people I know and her Girls are so blessed to have her! And BTW, so are we here at work! You're awesome Peggy and such a blessing to all of us! Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely story. Lovely family. Thank you for helping her and sharing a heart warming story that I know we all need to re-affirm our faith in humanity considering the state of the world.

    ReplyDelete

A few years back...3 maybe?

 A little over 3 years ago, our little quilt shop grew up. We moved to a larger space and hired more employees. So much has happened in thos...