Friday, February 8, 2013

Friday and a long overdue finish!





































Over a year ago, one of my family members gave me an antique quilt top to finish. It was her MIL's and was in dire need of attention and reworking. This top was over 70 years old, made of clothes fabrics and what looked to be appliqued on cheesecloth or those old flour sacks...at any rate, it was terribly delicate.

Add to that the cigarette smoke damage and finger pricked stains...well, you get the idea.
I had to take it apart and replace the old yellowed batting, make a new backing material and then quilt and bind it.

Fear is a powerful thing. I began the quilt a long time ago, and even featured it here...but when I hit a rock in the road...or should I say a kink in the quilting, I stopped...stumped at what to do next. I didn't want to take it all apart and risk damaging the top...

 

 
Forward to an email I received to prompt me back into action....that was two weeks ago.
I gathered my courage and went at it again. I did have to remove the bottom half of the quilting and rework the blocks (the material was what caused the wrinkle in the first place) and carefully put them all back together so they would line up with the top of the quilt.

 



Anyway, you again...get the idea. Some 20 hours later, I had finished the quilt and have sent it on its way....
WHEW!
This is that lovely top, all quilted and hopefully reworked for another 70 years....


 


 


 

 
Happy Friday!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I bet your family member is loving this rework because that is never an easy task to take on. I think you did a great job and kept the integrity of the original blocks to be loved for future generations to come

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I don't know if I would have tackled that, but you should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foi uma trabalheira abençoada,fico feliz por você,parabéns,o trabalho está perfeito.Um dia ainda faço umas bonequinhas destas,será...??/Bençãos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job. It is so cute with all those embroidered arms. You made a family member very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are/have done a magnificent job but then again I knew you would - don't forget I have a lap quilt you made me so I know how capable you are. You are amazing and I love you to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did an amazing job!!!!
    I know she appreciates it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did a wonderful job on the quilt! What a blessing for the owner to have you to do this for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! I was just browsing your blog....after getting your lovely email. You are one brave woman to tackle that antique quilt. It turned out beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete

A few years back...3 maybe?

 A little over 3 years ago, our little quilt shop grew up. We moved to a larger space and hired more employees. So much has happened in thos...